About Rohtang La
The Rohtang pass is a high altitude mountain pass that connects the Kullu Valley with the Lahaul and Spiti Valley of Himachal Pradesh. About 50 Kilometres away from the Manali and at an elevation of 13050 ft above the sea level, Rohtang Pass is situated in the Eastern Pir Pranjal Range of Inner Himalayan Region.
Rohtang Pass is one of the most spectacular destinations in Himachal Pradesh and famous for the snake-like path accompanied by snow-capped mountains. Just beyond the stunning Rohtang pass are the Sonapani Glacier and the twin peak of Gaypan, which is known for its panoramic view and peaceful atmosphere.
Rohtang Pass gives you a mesmerizing vista of the Himalayan Peaks along with the overlook of Kullu valley on one side and Spiti- Lahaul Valley on the other.
Best time to visit Rohtang Pass
Rohtang Pass and its nearby area experience heavy snowfall during the winters. Hence the pass remains closed from Mid- November till Late February/ March.
The best time to visit Rohtang pass is from May to Mid- October.
What is Rohtang Pass permit?
In order to travel via Rohtang pass for the purpose of tourism, it is mandatory to obtain the Rohtang Pass Permit. This permit is nothing but the tax to be paid by the tourists or travelers for their vehicle to visit or cross the Rohtang Pass.
This permit came into effect from the year 2014 after the intervention of the National Green Tribunal (NGT).
Previously there was no restriction to the number of vehicles that can go beyond the Rohtang pass but since 2017 as per the latest amendments, only 900 vehicles per day can cross (go beyond) Rohtang pass. This is the daily quota defined by NGT /District Administration in Himachal Pradesh.
It is said that Rohtang Pass and its nearby areas have been recognized to have an adverse effect on Global Warming for a few years.
Types of Rohtang Pass permit:
There are three types of permits in Rohtang Pass:
- Rohtang Pass permit
- Special Rohtang Pass permit
- Beyond Rohtang Pass permit
Other Guidelines for Rohtang Pass permit:
- Rohtang Pass permit is valid only for a single day (To & Fro).
- Rohtang pass remains closed on Tuesdays for maintenance purposes.
- For motorbikes Beyond Rohtang Permit is only allowed. This means you can’t stop your bike in the middle of the pass and then return back.
- If you travel back the same day with the Beyond Rohtang Permit, a fine of INR 5000/- will be collected from you.
- Rohtang Pass Kullu – Entry Fees, Permit Details and Facts
- Top 10 Questions about Rohtang Pass Permit Answered
- Rohtang Pass Permit: Details & How To Book Rohtang Pass Permit Online and Offline
- Top 14 Places to Visit in Lahaul and Spiti Valley
- Top 16 Places to visit in Kulu Manali
PS: We would love to hear from you about your travel experience in India. And more than happy to publish your travelogues on our website. Please feel free to contact us.