Palkulamedu Idukki: Trekking and Adventure
Palkulamedu is one of the Ideal trekking locations in Idukki district of Kerala. Similar to Chembra Peak of Wayanad, a small freshwater pool at the top of the Palkulamedu hill offers another jewel to the enchanting beauty of the peak.
Its due to this pool, the hill was awarded the name Palkulamedu, which means a hill with a pool of nutritious water in Malayalam. The vast spans of evergreen Hills, one after another fill the horizon and the beautiful view of Sunset and Sunrise gives makes this place an ideal viewpoint.
Plakulamedu is an ideal destination for adventure makers and trekkers. The beauty of Palkulamedu is indescribable and it offers the perfect ambiance of nature. The Palkulamnedu trek starts from the small town named Churuli near Cheruthoni, Idukki.
Best time to visit Palkulamedu is anytime except mid of summer and heavy monsoon.
How to reach Palkulamedu:
Route 1: Idukki Township -> Cheruthoni -> Choruli -> Palkulamedu.
Idukki is well connected with other parts of Kerala. From Idukki, you need to head towards Churuli via Cheruthoni(Idukki - Adimali Route).
And from Chiruli it is advisable to rent a four wheel drive jeep. Jeep will reach till the base of Palkulamedu hills, after crossing some steep hairpin bends and mud road. From the base, one needs to walk up to the hills to enjoy the beauty of Palkulamedu.
Route 2: Thodupuzha -> Vannapuram -> Kanjikuzhi -> Karimban -> Palkulamedu.
Thodupuzha to Palkulamedu is about 42 kilometers and will take around 1.5hrs to reach the destination.
Facts about Palkulamedu:
|Name in Malayalam:||പാൽകുളമേട്|
|Height :||1192 m|
|Known For:||Trekking, View Point|
|Nearest Railway Station|
- Palkulamedu is highly fertile for wild elephants, so its advisable to take necessary precautions.
- It is always advisable to get a local guide before proceeding the trek to Palkulamedu.
- At the summit, the wind is too strong. Beware of the surrounding and be safe.
- Avoid trekking during heavy rains due to accidents that can occur due to the thunderstorm.
- Don't dispose of anything out there. Be Responsible, and don't make it another dumb yard.