Nature Walk – Guided Day Trek in Thekkady
- A night trek in the Periyar Tiger Reserve.
- Organized by Periyar Tiger Conservation Foundation (PTCF).
- Gaur, sloth bear and elephants are often sighted apart from birds and butterflies are spotted.
- Thekkady - One of the most visited place in Idukki, Kerala.
- Periyar Tiger Reserve - One of the best Tiger Reserves in India.
Wondering how to spend your day in Periyar tiger reserve, Thekkady or what are the things to do in Thekkady. Here's the list of things to do in Thekkady. The Ecotourism center in Thekkady conducts Periyar tiger reserve ecotourism programmes. Ecotourism center provides 7 community-based Eco tourism programmes in Periyar tiger reserve. Enjoy!
People-oriented community-based and park centered ecotourism is the hallmark of Periyar Tiger Reserve. These programmes are conducted by locals who are responsible for the surveillance. By taking tourists along they not only interpret the values of Periyar and enhance the visitor experience but also add to the protection of the park and earn a livelihood out of it. Hence, when a visitor joins in all these programmes, he/she is directly contributing to the cause of conservation and community welfare.
Things to do in Thekkady - Periyar Tiger Reserve Eco Tourism Programmes
Periyar tiger reserve ecotourism programmes include:
- Nature Walk,
- Green Walk
- Jungle Scout
- Border Hiking
- Bamboo Rafting
- Bamboo Groves
- Jungle Camp
More details about the above programmes are as below:
Nature Walk - the guided day trek in Thekkady
This is an interpretive programme offering an excellent opportunity to watch birds, butterflies, and other wildlife. This is a must things to do in Thekkady. Different nature trails traversing diverse habitats form the trekking routes, generally 4 to 5 km in length. The trails often pass through evergreen and moist deciduous forests interspersed with marshy grasslands. The Nature walk is the right programme to feel nature, hear her whispers and smell her flowers
A two and half hour trekking programme that starts from the Famous Periyar Lake which covers the moist deciduous forest and grasslands accompanied by a tribal guide. The timing of this trek is 7 am, 7.30am, 10 am, 10.30am, 2 pm, and 2.30pm Maximum 6 persons and Minimum 4 person in which 4 slots going at a time.
|Programme Name:||Nature Walk|
|Starting Time:||7.00 am & 7.30am, 11.00 am & 11.30 am, 2.00 pm & 2.30 pm|
|Reporting Venue:||Boat Landing|
|Time Required:||2.5 Hrs|
|Distance Covered:||4 -5 km|
|Known for:||Excellent opportunity to watch birds, butterflies, and other wildlife|
|Indian Adult:||Rs. 350/- per person|
|Indian Child:||Rs. 350/- per person|
|Foreigner Adult:||Rs. 350/- per person|
|Foreigner Child||Rs. 350/- per person|
Rules & Guidelines
- Minimum of 4 persons required per trek.
- Minimum rate is applicable if the number of persons is less than 4.
- Maximum 6 persons per group is allowed for the expedition..
- The guests are accompanied by an Armed Forest Guard and two Guides.
- Torch and Leech Socks are provided.
- Kindly report 15 minutes before the commencement of the program.
- Children below 12 years are NOT allowed for this program.
- Park Entry Fees & bus charges will be extra.
- Binoculars & Leech socks will be provided.
Thekkady is well connected to major cities by road. The nearest town is Kumily, which is just 4 km from Thekkady. The nearest railway station is at Kottayam which is 114 km from Thekkady. The nearest airport is at Madurai in Tamil Nadu, about 136 km from Thekkady. The Nedumbassery airport in Kochi is about 190 km away.
- By Air: Cochin International Airport -124 Km
- By Rail: Aluva Railway Station- 125 Km, Ernakulam Railway Station – 143 Km
- By Road: Ernakulam- 142 Km, Thekkady- 115 Km
For more info or on any inquiry you can contact Periyar Tiger Conservation Foundation (PTCF). who is responsible for arranging the trekking, camping, staying packages inside the Tiger reserve. The Periyar Foundation was formed in 2004 for supporting tiger conservation and allied activities of the reserve. It was re-established to Periyar Tiger Conservation Foundation in 2010 as per the guidelines of the National Tiger Conservation Authority.
For Tourism related enquiries:
Eco Tourism Information Centre,
Periyar Tiger Reserve,
Ph: 8547603066 / 9946046025
Email: [email protected]
For enquiries related to the Tiger Reserve:
Office of the Deputy Director (Project Tiger),
Periyar Tiger Reserve,
Ph: 04869 222027
Email: [email protected]
Covid-19 Travel Advisory
COVID-19 restrictions are applicable. All Sundays (Except 15 & 22 August 2021 as of now) will be closed as per Government lock down measures. Click here to view for more details of Covid-19 travel advisory at Periyar Tiger Reserve