Kolukkumalai Tea Estate
Kolukkumalai is around 38km from Munnar and is situated across the Kerala border in Tamil Nadu. Perched at 8,100ft above sea level, the tea estate of Kolukkumalai is known to be the highest tea plantation in the world.
Kolukkumalai tea estate was set up by Britishers in the 1930s during the colonial era. The tea factory still uses the original equipment and processes tea in an old-fashioned way. Visitors are allowed for a visit to the factory and can pick and process their own cup of tea with the “Make Your Tea” programme.
Kolukkumalai got a lovely view of sunrise and it is simply awesome with its superb view of Kolukkumalai tea estate. There are also trekking programmes and stay option available at the estate. More details can be found at Kolukkumalai Trekking & Camping Packages
Best time to visit Kolukkumalai: Best time to visit Kolukkumalai is all seasons expect Monsoon.
How to reach Kolukumalai Tea Estate:
Kolukumalai is about 12 kilometers away from Suryanelli and can be only accessed by off-roaders. Plenty of jeeps are available on rent from Suranelli and it will take more than one hour to reach the top of Kolukkumalai.
The off-road initially passes through the gorgeous Harrison Malayalam Tea Estate and then the Kolukkumalai Tea Estate. The ride is tough, but a great experience for people who love nature and its miracles.
Route: Munnar-> Suryanelli-> Kolukumalai
- Its advisable not to have food before you take the Jeep ride as the off-road ride can sometimes make your belly feel bad.
- For just Kolukkumalai visit, pay the charges at the entry gate of Harisson Estate which includes the entry cost and jeep rent cost.
- Private vehicles or Bikes are not allowed after Harrison Malayalam Estate Entrance. So take sufficient permission before proceeding with own off-roading vehicle.
- Parking slot is available at Harrison Malayalam Estate Entrance. You can park your vehicle there are proceed with the jeep ride towards Kolukkumalai
- Don't dispose of anything out there. Be Responsible, and don't make it another dumb yard.
- You are not supposed to trek Meesapulimala from Kolukkumalai as its classified as an illegal trek route. If you are eager to visit Meesapulimala, then don't forget to check out Meesapulimala Trekking & Camping Packages from Kerala Forest Department(KFDC) which is the only authorized package for Meesapulimala trekking.
|Name:||Kolukkumalai/Kolukkumalai Tea Estate|
|Name in Malayalam:||കൊളുക്കുമല|
|Elevation:||2,160 m (7,090 ft)|
|Known For:||Trekking, View Point, Camping|
|Nearest Town:||Suryanelli(12km)/Munnar (38km)|
|Nearest Railway Station:|
- Munnar(about 38km)
- Ramakkalmedu(about 72km)
- Mathikettan Shola National Park (about 32km)
- Anayirankal Dam (about 37 km)
- Chokramudi Peak (about 30 km)
Love Photography & Travel? Sign up for our newsletter and stay updated with the latest articles.